Climate change adaptation: a new thematic approach for peacekeeping

Stream: Panel 17 - International Relations: ‘Fragile’ States, Peacekeeping, Peacebuilding, and Capacity Development 
Date: Monday, 26 September 2016
Time: 2.00 pm – 3.30 pm

Abstract

From its inception the United Nations peacekeeping operations have been heavily engaged in peacekeeping activities in fragile states. Within this short timeframe, a wide array of issues including humanitarian interventions, election monitoring and so forth have been assimilated within the broader policy framework of peacekeeping. Peacekeeping has always demonstrated flexibility and adaptability towards change. In recent years, climate change adaptation (CCA) has emerged as an important issue with proven linkages with conflict and the reoccurrence of conflict. Ironically, regardless of the global emphasis on CCA, the UN in general and peacekeeping in particular have been relatively passive in acknowledging CCA in key policy agendas, although there are some moves in that direction. The UNSC addresses three thematic issues, including women peace and security (WPS), children and armed conflict and protection of civilians in armed conflict. The UN’s WPS agenda utilizes peacekeeping as an effective tool to mainstream gender. To investigate the scope to utilize peacekeeping as a tool to address CCA, the project shall analyse the lessons learnt from the WPS-peacekeeping experiences to date and make a comparative analysis to examine whether a new thematic resolution could be introduced to empower peacekeeping operations to address CCA in post conflict environment.

Author

Shahedul Khan (Presenter), School of Social Sciences, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of New South Wales
As a government servant I served under the ministry of Home Affairs, Bangladesh for twelve years. During my tenure, I held senior managerial and administrative positions in police intelligence, administrative and training units. I did three masters before commencing my PhD at UNSW as an endeavour scholar. My first master’s degree was in Public Administration from the University of Dhaka. I received AusAid scholarship for my second master’s in Public Policy and Management (MPPM) from the University of Melbourne. Finally, I completed my third masters in International Peace and Security (IPS) from King’s College, London, under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, UK’s Chevening Scholarship scheme. I was a peacekeeper in the UN mission in Sudan (UNMIS) and was appointed as the Chief of Operations (CoO) in Juba, South Sudan.